Photos

Created with flickr badge.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Ingenuity

Bonswa! It's Hannah. I just wanted to write to you about our ingenious Music Theory lesson yesterday, and it's continuation today. We didn't have a chalk board, but Aaryn (an American teacher) came up with the idea to use the large gates that separate the guestroom courtyard from the road as a chalkboard. It was probably the coolest thing ever. We got to be OUTSIDE, learning about MUSIC, and using what we had to HAVE FUN. In American schools, teachers never let kids outside during class. Here, all of our classes are outside. It's a different culture here, but I think I like this culture better. No one ever judges you for messing up your Creole, and everyone is always so kind and encouraging. I know I've said this before, but honestly, these people are so considerate and kind! There is no way to explain the culture here. These people have been through so many hardships, yet they never give up and they always remain positive. Their faith in God is astounding, because their God is the only thing that they can make sense of in their world of poverty, hunger, and death. Today I was talking to an 11 year old girl whose brother died when he was really little. Her attitude towards his death was that she was sad, but she wasn't letting his death determine her life. Later, she told me that her mother was pregnant and she was going to have a brother or a sister. I was overjoyed, and it made me think that we take babies for granted in America. We assume that most of them will live, but in Haiti, nothing is ever certain.

Speaking of uncertainty, Pere David (Haitian Director of the Music Camp) explained the concept of time for us today. He said that it's 8 o'clock until it's 9 o'clock. Time here is rather lax. Sectionals are supposed to begin at 8 o'clock on the dot, yet they usually end up starting closer to 8:30. You would assume that because it's a music camp that things would be on time, yet I feel like sometimes the directors are later than some of the students.

I wish that we could stay two more weeks for the rest of the music camp. I'm going to miss the people here, and also the language. I'm just starting to understand around 40% of what I hear, if it is said slowly.

I just want to inform everyone that currently, Teiga and Thomas are mauling a mango. Kevin calls it  " Operation Mango." So far, the operation has been successful, yet extremely messy.

Tomorrow, we plan on rehearsing in the church for our recital Sunday. Afterwards, we plan to play in the recital for students at 4 o'clock. Someone from the Haiti Four will let you know how it goes.

Na wa pita, zanmim! -Hannah

5 comments:

  1. I love it Hannah. You rock.

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Hannah , you do rock!. The time concept seems a little familiar.. no? CLadd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoyed the cultural differences explained in Hannah's blog post...especially the judgement part regarding "mess ups" and that 8:00 lasts until 9:00. I am one who can't stand being late...perhaps I need a little training from the Haitians. Keep up the great writing. Thomas and I bought mangoes a few weeks ago and we all had a fun time making a mess as well. Eventually someone checked out a youtube video and we figured it out.

    Can't wait for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your descriptions! Reminds me of when I lived there in the 1970s. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! fantastic descriptions! Your outdoor classroom experience sounds amazing and perfect. With so much freedom, you must all be having such FUN teaching and learning!

    ReplyDelete