Photos

Created with flickr badge.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

It's Jaja. We've all been having a great time, learning, teaching and absorbing the culture.  Our first day of camp went well. It's a joy to watch our kids reconnect with their Haitian counterparts; there's the initial, mutual recognition followed quickly by a loud salutation and a big hug. The Haitian students are so happy to see our kids - the girls are asking about Kevin! I'm amazed at how many names our kids remember from last year. Their language skills are surprisingly good - I guess it's all flooding back from last year. They keep pointing out the things that are different from last year: the dogs look better, there are fewer campers, chicken is served more (so far). Tonight we had a porridge made from flour, milk, cinnamon and licorice-something - I asked the cooks how they made it. 

 I'm working with the strings, so I'm in a different area than Liz and the MMO students. We meet up for lunch and dinner. My first "job" was to lead a viola sectional. Luckily, there was an extra viola around. It was great, the students are like little sponges, they are so eager to learn. I enjoy learning their names which are so musical when the children pronounce them. After lunch I lead the beginner orchestra. Every ounce of French I know is helpful.

Time to sign off! It's late


It's the next day now. This morning we worked out the string orchestras up in "String Land." I'm a short distance (and many steps) from the band. I'm directing the beginner orchestra, and have students who have never held an instrument and some that are fairly proficient. I love the girl who is learning bass. She's so enthusiastic to learn and has never played before. I'm teaching by rote since I have no music, but most of the players don't read anyway so it all works out. 

I'm overwhelmed at how enthusiastic the kids are. They follow me around playing their violins and saying, "listen, listen. Is this right?" Even when I'm giving lessons or sectionals there are 4 little boys who hover around me - they're adorable.

Back to the kids!

1 comment:

  1. :You all sound soooo happy and busy! Is Madame St. Victoire there this summer? Are you all sleeping in the same places as you did last summer? Believe it or not, when I look at my weather app on my iphone, I find that it is just as hot in Newcastle as it is in Port-au- Prince. Keep up the great work!
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete