Photos

Created with flickr badge.

Monday, July 15, 2013

This is Elizabeth.

      So yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to start introducing myself to people as Beth rather than Elizabeth because I thought that it might be easier for them. The thing is, Haitians have a hard time making the "th" sound... That makes beth sound a whole lot like "Beff". For some reason the first time I introduced myself to one of the campers he and his friend just started laughing at me. I was really quite confused. When I finally got the explanation out of them I came to find out that "Bef" in creole means cow. Therefore they thought my name was cow... awkward.. Now he moos at me whenever he sees me.

     Anyway, my first day at camp has been really wonderful! The food is delicious and the people are so nice. I met some people during the brass sectional this morning and one of the girls, Katie, asked me if I would help her with her music later. I said that of course I would so we planned to meet at one O'clock. In true Hatian style that one quickly became a one twenty. Also, two of her friends, also beginning trumpets, came and joined us. Although both of them were older than me they were totally excited to learn from me. After we played for a while we just all sat around and talked even though their english was poor and my Creole was poorer. Their names were Jacquet and Dieufort. As it happened, I ended up staying with them playing, teaching, and learning for well over an hour. It was a blast. Can't wait to spend another week here!

No comments:

Post a Comment