Photos

Created with flickr badge.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Jazz in Haiti

Hello everyone, it's Hannah here! It's been a long time since I've posted but I've just been so busy trying to improve my Creole and teach sectionals to the little kids and play in rehearsals that it's been a bit crazy. I just wanted to let you guys know that here in Haiti, everyone loves jazz. I didn't notice it as much last year, but this year EVERYONE has been asking me if I play jazz and then they try to get to me to solo and play with them. Teiga talked about yesterday's jammin' out, but I wanted to talk about the jazz class that Greg (one of the American teachers here) has started because so many people have been asking about jazz. It's at 7 every night, the same time as the older Orchestra rehearsal, and last night Beth and I were coerced into going to to jazz lesson. It's entirely by ear, Greg doesn't have any music so he plays it to them and then they play it back until it's right. I admire him for being so willing to teach without anything to teach with. All of the teachers here are like that, and as I said, I can't say enough how much I admire their persistence, patience, and professionalism. But, back to jazz!
Today I was asked to play in the jazz group that one of the more experienced trumpet players in the band is conducting. We are going to play it for Saturday's recital.. yeah, that's tomorrow, but it should be a lot of fun! Davide, the conductor, is really great and the music is fun to play, especially with the band we have. My fellow saxophone players are really the sweetest people. They always save me a chair and a stand, and in return I play them parts of songs that they don't know so that they know how to play them correctly. It's a poor trade, but it's something at least.
I just wish I could do so much more for people here than I do know. There is so much need here, and all of the students just want to learn how to play better, and I feel like I can't help everyone. It's overwhelming until I look at the big picture: we're all doing what we can. Even if it's one lesson, it's still better than no lesson. Here in Haiti, there seems to be an unspoken rule: even if you have almost nothing to give, give a little bit. I'm learning every single day that every bit counts, no matter how small it is. Everything counts. When we feel like we aren't doing enough, take a step back and see what you have accomplished, and forget that you haven't done everything you want to. You can only do so much in a day. At the end of the day, look at how many smiles you received, how many people you made laugh or how many people made you laugh, and how silly your Cringlish sounded, and be happy about the memories you made.

-Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment